(Note: some of these appear elsewhere with us.)
THE COMPANY OF APOSLES
1. Who was the first apostle to be martyred?
2. Who succeeded Judas Iscariot as an apostle?
3. What apostle was a tax collector from Capernaurn?
4. According to tradition, which apostle was a missionary to India?
5. What apostle was probably crucified in Rome, head downward?
6. Who was the only one of the twelve apostles not from Galilee?
7. According to tradition, how did Simon the Zealot die?
8. Who was called the beloved disciple?
9. Who, according to tradition, preached in Assyria and Persia and died a martyr in Persia?
10. Who was not one of the original twelve, though he probably labored harder for the gospel than anyone else?
11. Which apostle was traditionally supposed to have been crucified in Egypt?
12. Which apostle, originally a disciple of John the Baptist, was supposed to have been crucified on an X-shaped cross?
13. Which of the apostles were fishermen?
14. Of all the apostles, which is the only one who is supposed to have died a natural death?
The Company of Apostles (Answers)
1. James (Acts 12:1-2)
2. Matthias (Acts 1:23-26)
6. Judas tscariot
7. Crucifixion or being sawn in pieces
11. James the less
13. Peter, Andrew, James, John
SECOND IN LINE
1. At 969 years, Methuselah was the longest-lived man.
Who came in second at 962 years?
2. Saul was the first king of Israel. Who was the second?
(Hint: It wasn’t David.)
3. The first covenant God made with man was his covenant with Noah.
With whom did he make the second covenant?
4. In John’s Gospel, Jesus’ first miracle is turning water into wine.
What is the second miracle?
5. Stephen was the first Christian martyr. What apostle was the second?
6. Paul’s first traveling companion was Barnabas. Who was the second?
7. The first plague in Egypt was the turning of the Nile waters to blood.
What was the second plague?
8. Qthniel was the first judge of Israel. Who was the second?
9. Jacob’s firstborn was Reuben. Who was his second son?
10. David’s first capital city was Hebron.
What was his second, and more famous, capital?
11. The serpent in Eden was the first talking animal in the Bible.
What was the second?
Second in Line (Answers)
1. Jared (Genesis 5:20)
2. Ishbosheth (2 Samuel 2:8-10)
3. Abraham (Genesis 15—17)
4. Healing an official’s son in Cana (John 4:43-54)
5. James, brother of John (Acts 12:1-2)
6. Silas (Acts 15:36-4 1)
7. Frogs (Exodus 8:1-8)
8. Ehud (Judges 3:15)
9. Simeon (Genesis 29:33)
10. Jerusalem (2 Samuel 5:6-10)
11. Balaam’s donkey (Numbers 2 2:28-30)
Most Mentioned Women
1. What Old Testament woman bore a child at age 90 and is the most mentioned woman in the Bible (56 mentions)?
2. What wife of a patriarch ranks second with 47 mentions?
3. What relative of Number 2 ranks third with 34 mentions?
4. What mother of twins ranks fourth with 31 mentions?
5. What evil woman ranks fifth with 23 mentions?
6. What New Testament woman ranks sixth with 19 mentions?
7. What wife of both Nabal and David ranks seventh with 15 mentions?
8. What sister of a famous leader ties with Number 7?
9. What follower of Jesus is mentioned 14 times?
Most Mentioned Women (Answers)
6. Mary, Jesus’ mother
9 Mary Magdalene.
Not to Be Taken Seriously
1. Why was Moses the most wicked man?
2. What book of the Bible mentions a baseball player who hit ten home runs?
3. What Old Testament character must have been as strong as steel?
4. What animal could Noah not trust?
5. How long was Noah in the belly of the whale?
6. How do we know there were newspaper reporters in Bible times?
7. What animal on the ark had the highest intelligence?
8. Which burns longer—a candle under a bushel or one on a hill?
9. Out of Gideon’s seventy sons, how many were big men at birth?
10. What kind of lights did Noah use on the ark?
11. When was the rooster’s crow heard by everyone on earth?
12. How does a lawyer resemble a rabbi?
13. How many animals did Noah bring into the empty ark?
14. What New Testament book has an insect in the title?
15. What are the two smallest insects in the Bible?
16. What character was the most ambitious man?
17. Who was the greatest speaker?
18. Why, according to the Bible, is it all right to be obese?
19. Who had his seat in a theater changed?
20. Who was the first canning factory run by?
21. Which book in the Old Testament is a math book?
22. Why was Noah like a hungry cat?
23. What is it that Adam never saw or had, yet left two of them for his children?
24. What Bible character may have only been a foot tall?
25. What did Joseph in the Old Testament have in common with Zacchaeus in the New?
Not to Be Taken Seriously (Answers)
1. He broke all Ten Commandments at once (Exodus 32:15-19)
2. Numbers 11 :32—”He that gathered least gathered ten homers.
3. Iron (Joshua 19:38)
4. The cheetah
5. Noah wasn’t in the belly of the whale—jonah was.
6. Zacchaeus couldn’t see Jesus for the press (Luke 19:3)
7. The giraffe
8. Neither—both get shorter.
9. None—they were all born small, as all babies are.
10. Flood lights
11. When it crowed on the ark
12. A lawyer studies the law and the profits.
13. One—after that it was not longer empty.
15. The widow’s mite and the wicked flea. (See Mark 12:42 and Proverbs 28:1.)
16. Jonah—even a whale couldn’t keep him down.
17. Samson—he brought the house down even though it was filled with his enemies (Judges 16:27-30)
18. Because “all the fat is the Lord’s” (Leviticus 3:16)
19. joseph—he was taken from the family circle and put in the pit (Genesis 37:3-24)
20 Noah—he had a boatful of preserved pairs.
22. He went 150 days and nights without finding Ararat (e’er a rat)
24. Nicodemus. since he was a ruler (John 3:1)
25. Joseph was overseeing and Zacchaeus was seeing over.
In the New
Each of these passages from the New Testament is a quotation from the Old Testa-ment. Name the Old Testament book (and, if you’re sharp, chapter and verse)
where the passage appears.
1. “Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel” (Matthew 1:23)
2. “Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight” (Matthew 3:3)
3. “The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up” (Matthew 4:16)
4. “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4)
5. “Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God” (Matthew 4:7)
6. “Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve” (Matthew 4:10)
7. “An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth” (Matthew 5:38)
8. “Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy” (Matthew 5:43)
The Old Testament in the New. (Answers)
1. Isaiah 7:14
2. Isaiah 40:3
3. Isaiah 42:74. Deuteronomy 8:3
5. Deuteronomy 6:16
6. Deuteronomy 6:13
7. Exodus 21:24
8 Leviticus 19:18
A Few Bits of Potpourri
1. Which Gospel was, according to tradition, written first?
2. Which epistle was called “an epistle of straw” by Martin Luther, who disliked it because he thought it taught salvation by works?
3. What New Testament book had the most difficulty being accepted as Scripture by the early Christians?
4. What Egyptian bishop was the first person to list the 27 New Testament books that we now have?
5. What American president published an edition of the Gospels which left out all the supernatural elements?
6. Who printed the first Bible?
7. What year did that occur?
8. What conqueror said, “The Bible is no mere book, but a Living Creature, with a power that conquers all that oppose it”?
9. What world-famous author said, “The New Testament is the very best book that ever was or ever will be known in the world”?
10.What was the name of the Jewish scholars who first inserted vowels into the text of the Hebrew Old Testament?
11. What is the oldest known manuscript of the New Testament, written in Greek, produced in Israel, and discovered by a Russian?
A Few Bits of Potpourri (Answers)
4. Athanasius of Alexandria. This occurred in AD. 36?.
5. Thomas Jefferson
6. Johann Gutenberg
9. Charles Dickens
10. The Masoretes
11. Codex Sinaiticus
COMPLETE BOOK of BIBLE TRIVIA
Over 4,500 Q and A by: J . STEPHEN LANG
Copyright @ 1988 by J. Stephen Lang
Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.
Return to the main menu..
Church of the Science of God
La Jolla, California 92038-3131
© Church of the Science of GOD, 1993