Simmons’ Way Village Inn & Restaurant
Millerton, New York
Owners: Helen & Tony Bettino
White Plains, N.Y.
- 6 slices bacon, cut into ˝-inch pieces
- 1˝ pounds, boneless beef chuck,
cut into ˝ inch chunks
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 3 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- ˝ cup pearl barley
- 8 ounces mushrooms, each cut into quarters
(eighths, if real large mushrooms )
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cans (14 or 14˝ ounces each) beef broth
(About 10˝ cups)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen kernels corn
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper.
Prep 35 minutes
Cook about 2˝ hours
Makes 16 cups or 8 main-dish servings
World famous as main-dish serving .
1. In a 6-to-8 quart Dutch oven,
Cook bacon over medium heat 7 minutes (or until browned.
With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain;
Set aside for now.
2. Pat beef dry with paper towels (don’t hurry)
Add half beef to bacon fat in Dutch oven
Cook over medium-high heat 3- 5 minutes (well browned all sides)
With slotted spoon transfer beef to medium bowl
Repeat with remaining half beef chunks.
3. To drippings in Dutch oven,
Add the carrots, celery, onion, red pepper, and barley
Cook over medium-low heat 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally
(until vegetables are browned and tender)
Add the mushrooms, thyme, basil, oregano and garlic
Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
4. Return beef, with any meat juices, to Dutch oven
Stir in broth and vinegar
heat to boiling over high heat
reduce heat to low and simmer soup, uncovered
about 1˝ hours, stirring occasionally, as always
(until beef is fork-tender)
5. Add corn, broccoli and black pepper to Dutch oven
simmer 10 minutes (just until broccoli is tender)
Skim off fat on top
Sprinkle the bacon left on paper towel over soup
Stand back and wait for applause.
(You won’t have to wait very long)
Chuck Wagon Chili Soup
12 oz. Beef chuck, ground
1 ˝ cups, onions chopped
1 can, tomatoes crushed (28 oz)
1 can, baked beans, barbecue (16 oz)
1 can, each beans, red kidney &
black & pinto
4 cups beef broth (from cubes)
1 squash, butternut small, peeled , seeded
Cut into 3/4-inch chunks (4 cups)
3 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp garlic, minced
2 tsp cumin ground
Serve with shredded Cheddar cheese and sliced scallions
1. Saute beef in a 5-qt. pot over medium heat 4 minutes (until brown)
2. Saute onions and garlic in pot 4 minutes (until soft)
Stir in chili powder and cumin,
then squash, broth and 1 cup water
Cover and gently boil 15 minutes
(Squash will be almost tender)
3. Add tomatoes and beans, bring to boil,
reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes
(To develop flavors)
4. Top with cheese and scallions. Serve to compliments galore!
Source: Woman's Day
Swedish Bean & Bacon Soup
6 strips bacon, cut up
- 1 cup, chopped onion
- 7 cups chicken broth (from cubes)
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- ˝ tsp ground allspice
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 can each (15.5 oz. each)
small white, Great Northern, navy beans
- 1 large potato, peeled, cut into 1/4 cubes
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- Serve with sour cream.
1. Cook bacon in a 5-qt pot, over medium heat, 5 minutes (or until crisp)
Drain bacon on paper towel.
Pour off all but 1 Tbsp fat.
2. Saute onion in fat 4 minutes (or until soft)
3. Add broth plus 1 extra cup water,
the carrots, bacon, marjoram, allspice, and bay leaf.
Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
4. Add remaining ingredients,
Boil gently, remember gently, 10 minutes
(or until vegetables are tender)
Discard bay leaf.
Top serving with sour cream
It’s so very delicious - you will be lucky to serve 6 -
Serve yourself first!
Return to the soups, first page..
Return to the recipe index..
Return to the Words of Wisdom index..
Church of the Science of God
La Jolla, California 92038-3131
© Church of the Science of GOD, 1993
Web Designed by WebDiva